【小站原创】官方真题Official46托福阅读文本及答案解析（The Origins of Writing）（原TPO）
- 2016年06月13日10:25 来源：小站教育作者：小站托福编辑
- 参与（24） 阅读（41604）
1. The word “key” in the passage is closest in meaning to 【词汇题】
frequent 频繁的，时常发生的。 original 原始的。 familiar熟悉的。
2. The word “virtue” in the passage is closest in meaning to 【词汇题】
C desirable quality
D physical characteristic
price价格。design设计。 physical characteristic 物理特征。
3. Which of the sentences below best expresses the essential information in the highlighted sentence in the passage? Incorrect choices change the meaning in important ways or leave out essential information. 【句子简化题】
A In part because of its low cost and ease of use, clay became the preferred writing material throughout Mesopotamia and well beyond it
B Clay was cheap throughout Mesopotamia, so clay tablets from Mesopotamia became the preferred writing material as far as the Mediterranean.
C For a while, the clay tablet was the preferred writing material in Crete and Greece.
D Moreover, because clay was used as the writing material of choice in Mesopotamia, Syria, Asia Minor, Persia, and the Mediterranean, it was cheap and popular.
解析：原句的核心：Clay is cheap and forming it into tablets is easy. Clay tablet became the preferred writing material. A选项的逻辑关系词为because，句子的两个核心low cost and ease of use和became the preferred writing与原句的句子核心吻合，故A选项正确。
4. What can be inferred from paragraph 2 about clay as a writing material? 【推断题】
A It had to be baked before it could be written on
B Its good points outweighed its bad points.
C Its durability was its most important feature for its users.
D It was not available in Egypt.
解析：文中提到clay的缺点是：clumsy and bulky, 但是it has a virtue dear to archaeologists: It is durable…. Became the preferred writing material not only throughout Mesopotamia but far outside it as well. 后面讲到的都是clay的优点。所以完全可以得出B选项的结论。
5. In paragraph 2, why does the author discuss the Egyptian use of papyrus as a writing material? 【修辞目的题】
A To describe the superiofity of papyrus over leattier and wood as a writing material
B To explain why writing in Egypt did not develop as quickly as it did Mesopotamia
C To explain why archaeologists' knowledge of the early history of writing relies mainly on Sumerian cuneiform
D To explain why the Sumerians preferred clay tablets for writing over papyrus
解析：作者先描述了in ancient times, Egyptians用papyrus reeds制造paper, 之后，clay tablet成为standard material. 最后又成为preferred material. 综合第二段的描述可知，C为正确选项。
6. According to paragraph 3, all of the following are true of cuneiform writing EXCEPT: 【否定事实信息题】
A It was composed of very simple shapes
B It was perfected by the ancient Sumerians.
C It influenced the choice of material on which it was written.
D It was understood by very few Sumerians.
解析：A选项对应原文This script consists of simple shapes. B选项对应原文The Sumerians perfected a style of writing. D选项对应原文literacy was largely limited to a small professional class, the scribes. C 选项原文没有提及，错误。